Justin Tadlock, who is the man of mystery behind Theme Hybrid (TH), announced that they are opening up a “not-theme-marketplace” for their club.
This is certainly a new look at operating a “theme club” and how it benefits both the company and its members.
Justin writes that they are accepting free submissions of themes to offer a few things in return.
- You get a free lifetime club membership at Theme Hybrid.
- Your theme gets some extra exposure because it’s on this site.
- You’ll get a full code review of your theme for any technical issues.
- You don’t have to worry about all the stress of maintaining a theme site.
- Your theme gets a dedicated support and documentation section on the site.
- I’ll personally handle all support questions for the theme, so you won’t have to worry about it. But, I do encourage active participation by theme authors (though it’s not required).
Wow! That’s a lot to be offering in exchange for submitting your theme for free. One question it does raise though, is whether or not theme authors will be allowed to pull their theme at any time that they want to, or if their theme will need to stay with TH indefinitely.
UPDATE: Per Justin’s comment below, theme authors will not be allowed to pull their themes, because users are paying for themes and support and the themes need to remain available.
The points that Justin outlines feel fairly time intensive, just for offering up a free theme to TH to make money on.
I’m very interested in seeing how this pans out for TH and if Justin can make it successful. Justin Tadlock is a very successful WordPress theme designer, and I really do hope he continues to bring success to the TH community.
Aside from just being a theme club, TH also offers the Hybrid Core framework for anyone to use.
via TH Blog